Run for the National Advisory Council
Voting for the five at-large seats on the National Advisory Council begins on February 11th, 2019. Learn more about the election process below.
Learn more about the election
Find all you need to know about the election timeline and how to run in the introductory blog post.
Get on the ballot
Ready to raise your hand? Submit your candidacy by January 31, 2019 to ensure your place on the ballot. Here's the form.
Recommend someone to run
Know someone who would be great for National Advisory Council? We'll reach out to them and encourage them to run.
About the National Advisory Council
The National Advisory Council (NAC) serves the Brigade community by connecting Code for America staff to the needs of the Brigade community, matchmaking Brigades to one another to share learnings and ideas, supporting and cultivating community leaders, and leveraging the diverse talent that Brigades contain.
In addition to its advisory role, the National Advisory Council helps Brigade network members build the skills they need to be successful community leaders. Members of the NAC have an expansive network and foster relationships around the country to build the civic tech movement and engage their local communities to improve government.
The current National Advisory Council
There are nine NAC members (5 at-large and 4 regional), each are elected to serve a two year term with elections alternating each year.
- Jill Bjers, Chair (At-Large, Open Charlotte Brigade)
- Jason Hibbets (At-Large, Open Raleigh Brigade)
- Chris Alfano (At-Large, Code for Philly)
- Nina Kin (At-Large, Hack for LA)
- Emma Burnett (At-Large, OpenMaine)
- Janet Michaelis (Midwest Region, Code for Dayton)
- Laura Biediger (South Region, Code for Durham)
- Ramy Kim (West Region, OpenOakland)
- Dawn McDougall (Northeast Region, Code for Philly)
You can reach the NAC by emailing NAC@codeforamerica.org.
National Advisory Council meetings
The National Advisory Council meets monthly to discuss their current work, upcoming events and Brigade network needs. The agenda is maintained and facilitated by the Chair and time is split between NAC members and CfA staff.
All agendas and notes are posted on the Code for America Discourse after the meeting.View Meeting Agendas
Additionally, the NAC has two in-person meetings a year: once at Summit and also at Brigade Congress.
Previous National Advisory Council Members
- Jill Bjers, Open Charlotte Brigade
- Jason Hibbets, Open Raleigh Brigade
- Chris Alfano, Code for Philly
- Neil Planchon, Open Oakland
- Noel Hidalgo, BetaNYC
- Harlan Weber, Code for Boston
- Vyki Englert, Hack for LA
- Luigi Ray-Montanez, Code for Atlanta
- Andrew Kozlik, Code for Orlando